Anne is a Senior Lecturer in Business, Environment & Corporate Responsibility, and also Director of Masters Studies, at the School of Earth and Environment, at the University of Leeds.
She is a specialist on corporate social responsibility with respect to development, particularly on ethical and fair trade and the use of private standards.
Anne is also Principal Investigator for an ESRC-DFID research project, ‘The Governance Implications of Private Standards Initiatives’, Member of the Development Studies Association, and involved in various groups within the Sustainability Research Institute (SRI) at Leeds.
Anne has undertaken research in a number of African countries, including Tanzania, Kenya, Uganda, Zambia and South Africa.
Prior to joining SRI, Anne was a Research Fellow at the Natural Resources Institute at the University of Greenwich, where she managed the Natural Resources and Ethical Trade programme. She began working in this field by studying for a PhD on fair trade on coffee, focusing on the link between European fair trade organisations and a coffee cooperative in Tanzania.
At NRI, Anne was involved in consultancy projects for a variety of clients including DFID, Defra, the World Bank, Common Fund for Commodities, Ethical Trading Initiative, Hivos and Fairtrade Labelling Organisations International.
- Fair trade;
- Labour standards in agricultural exports;
- Corporate responsibility in a developing country context;
- Small producers and sustainability standards;
- Developments in value chain analysis.
- Microfinance and climate change adaptation: an overview of the current literature
28 Sep 2015. Adrian Fenton, Jouni Paavola, Anne Tallontire
- Unraveling the Notion of “Fair Carbon”: Key Challenges for Standards Development
25 Mar 2015. Rebecca Howard, Anne Tallontire, Lindsay Stringer, Rob Marchant
- ‘I prefer 30°’: business strategies for consumer messages to reduce carbon emissions; an empirical coevolutionary analysis
14 Dec 2016
- Autonomous adaptation to riverine flooding in Satkhira District, Bangladesh: insights for transformation
17 Oct 2016
- Which “fairness”, for whom, and why? Broadening inputs for a standard designed to certify “fairtrade carbon credits”
6 Jun 2015
- What lays at stake for standards organisations pursuing fairness in the carbon market? Lessons from literature applied to practice in the carbon market
1 Oct 2014