Claire is Associate Professor in Natural Resources Management at the Sustainability Research Institute at University of Leeds.
Claire is currently working with CCCEP to investigate linking top-down and bottom-up approaches in climate change adaptation research in sub-Saharan Africa. She is also part of a consortium of researchers from across Europe investigating the prevention and remediation of degradation of soils through land care (RECARE). In addition, she is involved in work to understand perceptions and behaviour change around invasive non-native species in the UK, funded by NERC. She has just completed a M&S NERC Knowledge Exchange Fellow, working with Marks and Spencer to maximise the uptake of existing NERC-funded environmental science research relevant to business.
Claire has a BSc (Hons) in Biological Sciences, ecology specialism from Kings College, London, as well as an MRes Ecology and Environmental Management and a PhD in Social Policy and Environmental Management from the University of York.
Claire is an ecological social scientist with over 15 years of experience working on interdisciplinary projects in Africa and the UK. Her research interests lie at the interface between social and agricultural dimensions of environmental change and sustainability. Specifically her focus is on the livelihoods, vulnerability and adaptive capacity of farmers, and their relationships with governance, ecosystem services and landscapes, and supply chains.
- Sustainable livelihoods, vulnerability and adaptation in agricultural systems
- Governance and institutions for multi-functional landscapes/ecosystem services
- Water-Energy-Food nexus
- Bayesian Belief Networks
- Impacts of aquaculture on social networks in the mangrove systems of northern Vietnam
1 Oct 2015. Steven Orchard, Lindsay Stringer, Claire Quinn
- Evidence and perceptions of rainfall change in Malawi: Do maize cultivar choices enhance climate change adaptation in sub-Saharan Africa?
4 Aug 2015. Chloe Sutcliffe, Andy Dougill, Claire Quinn
- Implementing REDD at the local level: assessing the key enablers for credible emission reduction and sustainable livelihood outcomes.
1 Jul 2015. Peter A. Minang, Claire Quinn, Lalisa A. Duguma
- Mangrove system dynamics in Southeast Asia: linking livelihoods and ecosystem services in Vietnam
12 May 2015. Steven Orchard, Lindsay Stringer, Claire Quinn
- The role of livelihood assets in influencing spatial choices for REDD projects at sub-national level: a case study from Kenya.
1 Aug 2014. Claire Quinn, Peter A. Minang
- Policy coherence and interplay between Zambia’s forest, energy, agricultural and climate change policies and multilateral environmental agreements
1 May 2014. Felix Kalaba, Claire Quinn, Andy Dougill
- Contribution of forest provisioning ecosystem services to rural livelihoods in the Miombo woodlands of Zambia.
1 Dec 2013. Felix Kalaba, Claire Quinn, Andy Dougill
- Floristic composition, species diversity and carbon storage in charcoal and agriculture fallows and management implications in Miombo woodlands of Zambia.
15 Sep 2013. Felix Kalaba, Claire Quinn, Andy Dougill, Royd Vinya
- Identifying drivers of household coping strategies to multiple climatic hazards in Western Uganda: implications for adapting to future climate change
1 Sep 2013. Rachel Berman, Claire Quinn, Jouni Paavola
- The role of forest provisioning ecosystemservices in coping with household stresses and shocks in Miombo woodlands, Zambia
1 Sep 2013. Felix Kalaba, Claire Quinn, Andy Dougill
- Participatory scenario development for environmental management: A methodological framework illustrated with experience from the UK uplands.
15 Jun 2013. Claire Quinn, Evan Fraser, Doan Nainggolan, Lindsay Stringer
- Is rainfall really changing? Farmers’ perceptions, meteorological data, and policy implications.
12 Feb 2013. Elisabeth Simelton, Claire Quinn, Nnyaladzi Batisanic, Andy Dougill, Jennifer Dyer, Evan Fraser, David Dalison Mkwambisie, Susannah Sallu, Lindsay Stringer
- Anticipating and managing future trade-offs and complementarities between ecosystem services.
1 Jan 2013. Mark Reed, Klaus Hubacek, Aletta Bonn, Tim Burt, Joseph Holden, Lindsay Stringer, Nesha Beharry-Borg, Sarah Buckmaster, Dan Chapman, Pippa Chapman, Gareth Clay, Stephen Cornell, Andy Dougill, Anna Evely, Evan Fraser, Nanlin Jin, Brian Irvine, Mike Kirkby, William Kunin, Christina Prell, Claire Quinn, Bill Slee, Sigrid Stagl, Mette Termansen, Simon Thorp, Fred Worrall
- Are REDD projects pro-poor in their spatial targeting?
1 Aug 2012. Claire Quinn, Peter A. Minang
- The role of institutions in the transformation of coping capacity to sustainable adaptive capacity.
21 Mar 2012. Rachel Berman, Claire Quinn, Jouni Paavola
- Managing peatland ecosystem services: current UK policy and future challenges in a changing world.
1 Sep 2011. Claire Quinn, Stephen Whitfield, Mark Reed, K. Thomson, M. Christie, Lindsay Stringer, R. Anderson, A. Moxey, Klaus Hubacek
- Climate science, development practice, and policy interactions in dryland agroecological systems.
1 Jan 2011. Chasca Twyman, Evan Fraser, Lindsay Stringer, Claire Quinn, Andy Dougill, Federica Ravera, Todd Crane, Susannah Sallu
- Assessing vulnerability to climate change in dryland livelihood systems: conceptual challenges and interdisciplinary solutions.
1 Jan 2011. Evan Fraser, Andy Dougill, Klaus Hubacek, Claire Quinn, Jan Sendzimir, Mette Termansen
- Property rights in UK uplands and the implications for policy and management.
1 Apr 2010. Claire Quinn, Evan Fraser, Klaus Hubacek, Mark Reed
- The future of the uplands
1 Dec 2009. Claire Quinn, Lindsay Stringer, Evan Fraser
- Using scenarios to explore UK upland futures
1 Nov 2009. Claire Quinn, Doan Nainggolan
- Who’s in the network?’ When stakeholders influence data analysis.
15 Oct 2009. Christina Prell, Klaus Hubacek, Claire Quinn, Mark Reed
- Who’s in and why? A typology of stakeholder analysis methods for natural resource management.
1 Apr 2009. Lindsay Stringer, Claire Quinn
- Modelling the coupled dynamics of moorland management and upland vegetation.
3 Mar 2009. Daniel Chapman, Mette Termansen, Claire Quinn, Nanlin Jin, Aletta Bonn, Stephen Cornell, Evan Fraser, Klaus Hubacek, William Kunin, Mark Reed
- Visitor perceptions of rural landscapes: a case study in the Peak District National Park
1 Feb 2009. Evan Fraser, Claire Quinn
- Exploring power and procedural justice within Climate-Compatible Development project design: whose priorities are being considered?
11 Feb 2016
- Exploring the agency of Africa in designing REDD+ and the associated implications for national level implementation
6 Dec 2014
- Combining nexus and resilience thinking in a novel framework to enable more equitable and just outcomes
6 Oct 2014
- Nesting REDD+ into Integrated Conservation and Development Projects: what empirical lessons can be drawn?
1 Jul 2014
- The impact of climatic hazards on social network structure: Insights from community support networks in Western Uganda
1 Jun 2014
- Exploring mangrove social-ecological system dynamics in South-East Asia: linking livelihoods, vulnerability and ecosystem services in Vietnam
1 Mar 2014
- African farmers’ perceptions of erratic rainfall
1 Oct 2011
- Assessing vulnerability to climate change in dryland livelihood systems: conceptual challenges and interdisciplinary solutions
1 Jun 2010