Declan Conway joined the Grantham Research Institute as a Professorial Research Fellow on the 28th October 2013.
Declan’s research cuts across water, climate and society, with a strong focus on adaptation and international development. Originally a geographer, Declan draws on insights from different disciplines to pursue problem focused research. He has over 20 years experience working in sub-Saharan Africa and Asia (particularly China). Declan’s research funding has included the EU, UK departments DFID, Defra and DECC, UK NERC and ESRC, US NSF and the World Bank.
- Chair of the Programme Executive Board of UPGro; Unlocking the Potential for Groundwater in sub-Saharan Africa
- Co-editor in Chief of Global Environmental Change
- Member International Programme Advisory Committee NERC-ESRC-DFID ESPA Ecosystem Services for Poverty Alleviation
- Programme Lead of the Adaptation and Resources Group in GRI
- Water security and climate change
- Adaptation and development
- Water-energy-food Nexus
- China and climate change
- Nile Basin and climate change
Prospective PhD Students
Declan welcomes prospective PhD students and can be contacted with ideas related to any of the above areas. He is particularly interested in novel/unusual ideas that cut across disciplines.
– Visit the ‘Study with us’ page for further information on applying to be a PhD student with us.
- Co-benefits and trade-offs in the water–energy nexus of irrigation modernization in China
16 Jul 2016. Declan Conway
- Regional disparities in the beneficial effects of rising CO2 concentrations on crop water productivity
18 Apr 2016. Declan Conway
- Water resources transfers through southern African food trade: water efficiency and climate signals
27 Jan 2016. Carole Dalin, Declan Conway
- Invention and diffusion of water supply and water efficiency technologies: insights from a global patent dataset
15 Dec 2015. Declan Conway, Antoine Dechezleprêtre
- Climate and southern Africa’s water–energy–food nexus
26 Aug 2015. Declan Conway, Carole Dalin
- Tracing the water-energy-food nexus: description, theory and practice
17 Aug 2015. Hayley Leck, Declan Conway, Judith Rees
- Social vulnerability in three high-poverty climate change hot spots: What does the climate change literature tell us?
20 Dec 2014. Declan Conway
- Climate change and International River Boundaries: fixed points in shifting sands
17 Sep 2014. Declan Conway
- Strategies for improving adaptation practice in developing countries
25 Apr 2014. Declan Conway
- Global crop yield response to extreme heat stress under multiple climate change futures
19 Mar 2014. Declan Conway
- Global Environmental Change: taking stock at a time of transition
5 Mar 2014. Declan Conway
- Physical and political impacts: Complex river boundaries at risk (on www.nature.com)
29 Oct 2015
- Climate is critical in southern Africa’s water-energy-food nexus
26 Aug 2015
- What scale for water governance?
14 Aug 2015
- Policy: Hard choices and soft outcomes? (on www.nature.com)
28 Jan 2015
- Global Environmental Change
13 Aug 2014
- A nexus approach to global challenges (on www.theguardian.com)
16 Jun 2014