Rory is an internationally recognised expert on the financial and investment implications of climate change.
He is a Senior Research Fellow at the University of Leeds, based at the School of Earth and Environment, and Chair of the Ethix SRI Advisers Advisory Council.
Together with Professor Andy Gouldson, Rory is leading the CCCEP project on ‘non-state actors and the low-carbon economy’. The project analyses how non-state actors such as NGOs and investors have influenced corporate performance on climate change and, from this, will offer a comprehensive explanation of when and where particular forms of governance intervention are likely to be more or less effective.
Rory’s experience has included seven years in one of the largest asset management companies in the UK, focusing on the investment implications of climate change and energy issues, extensive periods working as a consultant/adviser on environmental finance, regulation and policy issues for international bodies such as EBRD, OECD, World Economic Forum, UNEP and UNDP, and the provision of strategy and policy advice on these and related issues to industry and investor networks, national governments and private sector companies.
He has written seven books and many papers, reports and articles on investment, climate change, and related issues.
- Are Corporate Carbon Management Practices Reducing Corporate Carbon Emissions?
1 Oct 2016. Baran Doda, Caterina Gennaioli, Andy Gouldson, David Grover, Rory Sullivan
- Comparing the Climate Change Actions, Targets and Performance of UK and US Retailers
1 Jun 2016. Andy Gouldson, Rory Sullivan
- Understanding the Case for Low-Carbon Investment through Bottom-up Assessments of City-Scale Opportunities
23 Feb 2016. Andrew Sudmant, Andy Gouldson, Sarah Colenbrander, Rory Sullivan, Faye McAnulla, N. Kerr
- Innovative financing models for low carbon transitions: Exploring the case for revolving funds for domestic energy efficiency programmes
29 Aug 2015. Andy Gouldson, N. Kerr, Mark Freeman, N. Topi, Rory Sullivan
- Are corporate carbon management practices impacting on corporate carbon emissions?
2 Feb 2015. Baran Doda, Caterina Gennaioli, Andy Gouldson, David Grover, Rory Sullivan
- Comparing the climate change actions, targets and performance of UK and US retailers
31 Oct 2014. Rory Sullivan, Andy Gouldson
- Long-term corporate climate change targets: what could they deliver?
1 Mar 2014. Andy Gouldson, Rory Sullivan
- Ten years of corporate action on climate change: What do we have to show for it?
1 Sep 2013. Andy Gouldson, Rory Sullivan
- Funding Low Carbon Cities: Local perspectives on opportunities and risks
10 Dec 2012. Rory Sullivan, Andy Gouldson, Phil Webber
- Does voluntary carbon reporting meet investors’ needs?
1 Nov 2012. Andy Gouldson, Rory Sullivan
- Pollutant release and transfer registers: Examining the value of government-led reporting on corporate environmental performance
1 Dec 2007. Andy Gouldson, Rory Sullivan
- Corporate environmentalism: Tracing the links between policies and performance Using corporate reports and public registers
16 May 2006. Andy Gouldson, Rory Sullivan
- Corporate social responsibility, sustainability and the governance of business, Handbook of Sustainable Development: Second Edition
26 Sep 2014
- The Economics and Financing of City-Scale Retrofits
1 Jan 2014
- Ecological modernisation and the spaces for feasible action on climate change
1 Jan 2011
- Understanding the Governance of Corporations: Linking theory and practice through an examination of the factors shaping UK supermarket strategies on climate change
1 Apr 2014
- The Governance of Corporate Responsibility
1 Jul 2013
- Funding low carbon cities: mapping the risks and opportunities
1 Nov 2012
- Understanding the limits of voluntary carbon reporting and the potential of mandatory reporting
1 Sep 2012
- Climate change: why UK and Japanese retailers respond differently (on www.ethicalcorp.com)
17 Apr 2014
- Financing low carbon cities: reconciling needs and expectations (on www.theguardian.com)
17 Aug 2012
- Are there limits to energy efficiency for supermarkets? (on www.theguardian.com)
5 Jul 2012
- Five obstacles to reducing value chain greenhouse gas emissions (on www.theguardian.com)
5 May 2011
- Whose responsibility is it to reduce carbon emissions? (on www.theguardian.com)
18 Apr 2011