Emma holds a Readership in environment and development in the School of Geography & Environment at the University of Southampton.
Emma teaches undergraduate courses in environment and development and global environmental change.
Emma has worked on climate change adaptation since 2001, specifically barriers and limits to institutional adaptation, public-private partnerships for adaptation, and drivers of individual action and national policy on adaptation.
She is a lead author for the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) Assessment Report Five.
Emma was part of the lead expert group for the Government Office of Science Foresight project, ‘Reducing Risk of Future Disasters’.
She was also a contributing author to the IPCC Special Report on Climate Extremes and Disasters, an expert reviewer for the IPCC fourth Assessment Report, and provides ongoing expert reviews for research councils in the UK and seven other European countries.
Emma has published numerous papers, articles and policy briefs on environmental management, adaptation to climate change, and social and ecological resilience, as well as handbooks on surviving climate change in small islands and participatory coastal zone management.
She has a PhD Environmental Science (UEA), MSc Environmental and Resource Economics (UCL) and BA Economics (Leicester).
- Sustainable adaptation to climate change;
- Social transitions and processes of institutional change;
- Individual behaviour in a changing environment.
- Autonomous household adaptation to multiple climate and socio-economic stresses: Evidence from Zanzibar, Tanzania.
1 Jan 2014. Natalie Suckall, Emma Tompkins, Lindsay Stringer
- Managing privately-provided public adaptation goods
12 Oct 2011. Emma Tompkins, Hallie Eakin
- Managing private and public adaptation to climate change.
16 Sep 2011. Emma Tompkins, Hallie Eakin
- Resilience implications of policy responses to climate change
27 Jul 2011. W. Neil Adger, Katrina Brown, Donald R. Nelson, Fikret Berkes, Hallie Eakin, Carl Folke, Kathleen Galvin, Lance Gunderson, Marisa Goulden, Karen O’Brien, Jack Ruitenbeek, Emma Tompkins
- Observed adaptation to climate change: UK evidence of transition to a well-adapting society?
4 Jun 2010. Emma Tompkins, W. Neil Adger, Emily Boyd, Sophie Nicholson-Cole, Keith Weatherhead, Nigel Arnell
- Using expert elicitation to define successful adaptation to climate change.
1 Nov 2009. M. Doria, Emily Boyed, Emma Tompkins, W. Neil Adger
- Foreignness as a constraint on learning: the impact of migrants on disaster resilience in small islands
1 Jan 2009. Emma Tompkins, Lisa-Ann Hurlston, Wouter Poortinga
- A less disastrous disaster: managing response to climate-driven hazards in the Cayman Islands and NE Brazil
1 Oct 2008. Emma Tompkins, Maria Carmen Lemos, Emily Boyd
- Scenario-based stakeholder engagement: a framework for incorporating climate change into coastal decision making.
1 Sep 2008. Emma Tompkins, K. Brown, R. Few
- Resilience and ‘climatizing’ development: examples and policy implications
1 Sep 2008. Emily Boyd, Henny Osbahr, Polly Ericksen, Emma Tompkins, Maria Carmen Lemos, Fiona Miller
- Perceptions of the effectiveness of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change in advancing national action on climate change
1 Feb 2008. Emma Tompkins, H. Amundsen
- Predicting the impacts and socio-economic consequences of climate change on global marine ecosystems and fisheries
17 Mar 2011
- Climate Change: A beginners’ guide
1 Jan 2010
- Hidden costs and disparate uncertainties: trade-offs involved in approaches to climate policy
1 Jan 2009