Daire McCoy is an Assistant Professorial Research Fellow at the Grantham Research Institute on Climate Change and the Environment. He joined the institute in November 2016. His research in mainly empirical in nature and involves the use of randomised-controlled trials and analysis of secondary data to examine a range of issues related to de-carbonisation and the reduction of energy consumption. This work involves collaboration with industry and government. Current topics include longer term impacts of energy efficiency upgrades; technology adoption amongst households; fuel poverty; and policy design and evaluation.
Daire holds a PhD in Economics from Trinity College Dublin, a BSc in Statistics and a Master’s degree in Economics, both from University College Dublin. Prior to joining the LSE, Daire worked as a Post-Doctoral Research Fellow at the Economic and Social Research Institute in Dublin, Ireland. He has collaborated extensively with academics from other disciplines, industry, government and the charity sector. During his PhD he was a member of the SFI Sustainable Electrical Energy Systems (SEES) cluster, a collaboration between engineers, economists and mathematicians, with significant industry and government involvement. During his post-doc he was affiliated with the SFI Marine Renewable Energy Ireland (MaREI) Centre, a cluster of key academic and industrial partners dedicated to solving the main scientific, technical and socio-economic challenges related to marine renewable energy.
- Energy and Environmental Economics;
- Energy Efficiency;
- Applied Econometrics.
- Market failures and willingness-to-accept the smart energy transition: Experimental evidence from the UK
26 May 2020
- Quantifying the distributional impact of energy efficiency measures
19 Feb 2020
- Why the energy efficiency gap is smaller than we think: quantifying heterogeneity and persistence in the returns to energy efficiency measures
5 Nov 2018
- Exploring the spatial and temporal determinants of gas central heating adoption
18 Dec 2017
- The effects of home energy efficiency upgrades on social housing tenants: evidence from Ireland
28 Sep 2017
- Response to the BEIS consultation ‘Improving home energy performance through lenders’
Policy publications, 8 Jul 2021
- Consultation response: ‘Building a market for energy efficiency’
Policy publications, 9 Jan 2018
- Consultation response: ‘Call for evidence on the reform of the Green Deal Framework’
Policy publications, 22 Nov 2017