Nick joined the Grantham Research Institute in February 2018 as Professor in Practice for Sustainable Finance. Nick leads the sustainable finance research theme. The focus of his work is on how to mobilise finance for climate action in ways that support a just transition, promoting the role of central banks and regulators in achieving sustainable development and investigating how the financial system can support the restoration of nature.
Nick is author of The Road to Net Zero Finance for the UK’s Climate Change Committee and co-founder of the Financing the Just Transition Alliance. He leads the finance platform for the Place-based Climate Action Network, and is co-chair of the International Network for Sustainable Finance Policy Insights, Research and Exchange (INSPIRE).
From 2014 to 2018, Nick was co-director of UN Environment’s Inquiry into a Sustainable Finance System. As part of this, Nick established the Sustainable Insurance Forum of regulators and the Financial Centres for Sustainability network, as well as leading country activities in Brazil, the EU, India, Italy and the UK.
Before joining UNEP, he was Head of the Climate Change Centre of Excellence at HSBC. Prior to HSBC, Nick was head of Sustainable and Responsible Investment (SRI) funds at Henderson Global Investors. Nick has also worked at the International Institute for Environment and Development, the European Commission and the Business Council for Sustainable Development.
Nick is co-founder of Carbon Tracker and also co-founder of Planet Tracker. Nick has published widely and is the author of The Corporation that Changed the World: How the East India Company Shaped the Modern Multinational‘ (2005) and co-editor of Sustainable Investing: the Art of Long-Term Performance (2008). He is currently working on an ecological history of England and a book on finance, climate change and justice. He has a BA in History from Cambridge University and an MSc in International Relations from LSE.
- From the grand to the granular: translating just transition ambitions into investor action
Policy publications, 23 Jul 2021
- Earth Day 50 – Sustainable finance: the road ahead
Policy publications, 21 Apr 2020
- Delivering strong and sustainable growth in the UK: A special decade for innovation and investment
Policy publications, 4 Mar 2020
- Financing inclusive climate action in the UK: An investor roadmap for the just transition
Policy publications, 1 Oct 2019
- El cambio climático y la transición justa: Guía para la toma de decisiones de los inversores
Policy publications, 14 Mar 2019
- Changement climatique et transition juste: Guide pour orienter l’action des investisseurs
Policy publications, 14 Mar 2019
- Investing in a just transition in the UK: How investors can integrate social impact and place-based financing into climate strategies
Policy publications, 4 Feb 2019
- Climate change and the just transition – A guide for investor action
Policy publications, 6 Dec 2018
- Investing in a just transition: Why investors need to integrate a social dimension into their climate strategies and how they could take action
Policy publications, 12 Jun 2018
- Sustainable finance in troubling times: five actions to prevent market turbulence turning into a crisis
9 Jan 2019
- Where next for sustainable insurance? Five priorities for the next decade
5 Nov 2018
- Financing the transition: how investors can help make climate action inclusive
4 Oct 2018
- Making finance climate-consistent: how could the UK implement Article 2.1.c of the Paris Agreement?
24 Sep 2018