Josh is a Senior Policy Fellow, in the Grantham Research Institute on Climate Change and the Environment where he leads the policy analysis team on UK climate & energy policy.
Josh is a Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts.
Prior to joining the Grantham Institute, Josh was a Senior Research Fellow at Policy Exchange where he led the Energy and Environment department. He was responsible fordesigning, leading and delivering existing and new research projects focused on energy and environmental policies which respond to the most important questions the UK faces, as well as writing articles, organising events, and talking to policymakers, experts and opinion formers from government, academia, NGOs, Parliament and business.
Before this he worked as a Project Manager in an AiM listed renewable energy project developer focussing on distributed generation. His professional experience also includes work in the public policy sphere at both Chatham House and The Overseas Development Institute. He has a BSc in Geography from the University of Nottingham , an MSc in Environmental Technology from Imperial College London.
Research and policy interests
- Understanding the barriers to the UK’S low-carbon energy transition
- Design of economy-wide economic policy framework for decarbonisation.
- The role of gas in a decarbonised world
- Ensuring the political sustainability of climate policy
- Distributional impacts analysis of engineered Greenhouse Gas Removal technologies in the UK
Policy publications, 29 Jul 2021
- Response to the BEIS consultation ‘Improving home energy performance through lenders’
Policy publications, 8 Jul 2021
- What does an EU Carbon Border Adjustment Mechanism mean for the UK?
Policy publications, 1 Apr 2021
- Does it pay for firms to go green?
Policy publications, 15 Jun 2020
- Distributional impacts of a carbon tax in the UK
Policy publications, 9 Mar 2020
- Submission to the Environment Agency’s consultation on the Draft National Flood and Coastal Erosion Risk Management Strategy for England
Policy publications, 17 Oct 2019
- Global lessons for the UK in carbon taxes
Policy publications, 2 Aug 2019
- How to price carbon to reach net-zero emissions in the UK
Policy publications, 22 May 2019
- Greenhouse gas removal technologies: Who should foot the bill? (on )
10 Aug 2022
- Climate crisis: UK cannot reach net zero emissions ‘if ministers remain fixed on economic growth’ (on www.independent.co.uk)
29 Aug 2019
- Is the UK doing enough to prepare for the last days of coal and the eventual phase-out of oil and gas?
28 Feb 2019
- What does the October 2018 Budget mean for UK carbon pricing in a no-deal Brexit?
30 Oct 2018