Susannah Mary Sallu
Susannah is Associate Professor in Environment and Development at the Sustainability Research Institute at University of Leeds. She is also Deputy Co-Director of the Centre for Global Development and Africa College Champion in Rural Livelihoods and Sustainability.
Research focus: Susannah’s research focusses on environment-development issues in Africa. She incorporates theories, tools and techniques from the natural and social sciences to better understand environment-society dynamics and interactions. She has particular expertise in the assessment of social-ecological resilience and sustainability, ecosystem services, rural livelihoods and poverty dynamics; natural resource management and participatory governance.
Current research: Current research focuses on investigating the barriers and limits to change adaptation and the relationships between Climate Change related mechanisms (e.g. REDD+ and CDM), Payment for Ecosystem Services, Sustainable Agricultural Intensification, Conservation Agriculture, Climate-smart Agriculture and poverty alleviation in Africa. Susannah has a particular focus on East and Southern Africa, particularly Tanzania where she has worked for over 14 years.
- The livelihood impacts of the Equitable Payments for Watershed Services (EPWS) Program in Morogoro, Tanzania
23 Apr 2017. Emmanuel Kwayu, Jouni Paavola, Susannah Mary Sallu
- Researching climate change and community in neoliberal contexts: an emerging critical approach
18 Mar 2017. Susannah Mary Sallu, Lucie Middlemiss
- Can CDM finance energy access in Least Developed Countries? Evidence from Tanzania
16 Apr 2015. Benjamin T. Wood, Susannah Mary Sallu, Jouni Paavola
- Why is socially-just climate change adaptation in sub-Saharan Africa so challenging? A review of barriers identified from empirical cases
4 Feb 2015. Susannah Mary Sallu
- Migrating to tackle climate variability and change? Insights from coastal fishing communities in Bangladesh
2 Jun 2014. Susannah Mary Sallu, Monirul Islam, Klaus Hubacek, Jouni Paavola
- Farmer participation in the equitable payments for watershed services in Morogoro, Tanzania.
3 Jan 2014. Emmanuel Kwayu, Susannah Mary Sallu, Jouni Paavola
- Limits and barriers to adaptation to climate variability and change in Bangladeshi coastal fishing communities.
1 Jan 2014. Monirul Islam, Susannah Mary Sallu, Klaus Hubacek, Jouni Paavola
- Vulnerability of fishery-based livelihoods to the impacts of climate variability and change: insights from coastal Bangladesh.
6 Jun 2013. Monirul Islam, Susannah Mary Sallu, Klaus Hubacek, Jouni Paavola