Andrew is a Research Fellow at working under Professor Andy Gouldson on the Economics of Climate Smart Cities research program. At the Climate Smart Cities team program mini-Stern review studies are conducted by consulting with regional development authorities, national and municipal governments and partner universities to identify cost-effective climate change mitigation measures in cities. With this work the Climate Smart Cities program not only explores the case for green growth but the opportunity for climate change mitigation policies to enhance energy security and public health, raise employment, stimulate investment and improve public finances.
Andrew has an MSc Environmental Policy and Regulation from the London School of Economics and a BA (Honours) Economics from the University of British Columbia.
As a research fellow at the Climate Smart Cities Program I am an author on four cities reports and have led in-country stakeholder engagement and capacity building in Malaysia, Indonesia and Brazil. Our work has had a significant impact. In Lima our project will form that basis of the city’s climate mitigation plan, for example. Our work will also contribute to the New Climate Economy and Global Green Growth Best Practice reports, to be launched in autumn 2014, is being considered for a UNFCCC ‘Momentum for Change’ award and is published across a number of academic journals. Currently I am leading a small research team in Recife, Brazil, organising and facilitating focus groups and stakeholder consultations with local and regional government.
- Climate economics
- Urban climate mitigation
- Energy efficiency
- Transportation modelling
- Low Carbon Cities: Is Ambitious Action Affordable?
15 Aug 2016. Andrew Sudmant, Joel Millward-Hopkins, Sarah Colenbrander, Andy Gouldson
- Cities and climate change mitigation: Economic opportunities and governance challenges in Asia
1 May 2016. Andy Gouldson, Sarah Colenbrander, Andrew Sudmant, N. Kerr, Faye McAnulla, Stephen Hall, Effie Papargyropolou
- Understanding the Case for Low-Carbon Investment through Bottom-up Assessments of City-Scale Opportunities
23 Feb 2016. Andrew Sudmant, Andy Gouldson, Sarah Colenbrander, Rory Sullivan, Faye McAnulla, N. Kerr
- The economic case for low carbon waste management in rapidly growing cities in the developing world: The case of Palembang, Indonesia
5 Nov 2015. Sarah Colenbrander, Andrew Sudmant, Andy Gouldson
- Exploring the economic case for climate action in cities
4 Sep 2015. Andy Gouldson, Sarah Colenbrander, Andrew Sudmant, Faye McAnulla, N. Kerr
- Exploring the economic case for early investment in climate change mitigation in middle-income countries: a case study of Johor Bahru, Malaysia
2 Jun 2015. Sarah Colenbrander, Andy Gouldson, Andrew Sudmant
- The economic case for low-carbon development in rapidly growing developing world cities: A case study of Palembang, Indonesia
28 Jan 2015. Sarah Colenbrander, Andy Gouldson, Andrew Sudmant