Joana Setzer is a Research Fellow at the Grantham Research Institute on Climate Change and the Environment, where she leads the Institute’s research on climate litigation.
Since 2013 she has been involved in the Grantham Research Institute’s Climate Change Laws of the World project – the most comprehensive global resource on climate policy, legislation, and litigation.
Joana’s research interest has been on climate change governance, particularly investigating the engagement of subnational governments and the role of courts in climate governance.
Joana was a British Academy Post-Doctoral Fellow (2016-2019). She holds PhD and an MSc in Environment and Development from the LSE, a Masters in Environmental Science from the University of Sao Paulo, and an BA in Law from the Pontificia Universidade Catolica. She worked as the external affairs coordinator of Regions4, a network that represents subnational governments at the international level in the field of sustainable development. Prior to moving to the UK, she worked for eight years as an environmental lawyer in Brazil.
- Subnational diplomacy
- Multilevel climate and environmental governance
- Climate change and environmental legislation
- Subnational Leaders and Diplomacy
1 May 2019. Joana Setzer
- National Governance The state’s role in steering polycentric action
30 Apr 2018. Joana Setzer, Michal Nachmany
- Transnational action fostering climate protection in the city of São Paulo and beyond
28 Jul 2016. Joana Setzer
- Testing the boundaries of subnational diplomacy: the international climate action of local and regional governments
5 May 2015. Joana Setzer
- How subnational governments are rescaling environmental governance: the case of the Brazilian state of São Paulo
28 Nov 2014. Joana Setzer
- Environmental paradiplomacy: the Brazilian participation in the international climate regime
19 Sep 2013. Joana Setzer
- RIO +20 and the institutional framework for sustainable development: the role of subnational governments in global environmental governance
17 Jun 2013. Joana Setzer
- Increasing participation in climate policy implementation: a case for engaging SMEs from the transport sector in the city of São Paulo
21 Feb 2013. Joana Setzer
- La paradiplomacia ambiental em la nueva gobernanza internacional
17 Jun 2012. Joana Setzer
- Trends in climate change legislation
1 Jan 2018