Nicola is a Postdoctoral Research Fellow at the Sustainability Research Institute.
Prior to joining the University of Leeds he worked as Economist at the European Commission (Directorate General Development and Relations with African, Caribbean and Pacific States) in Brussels, where he contributed to the 2009 report on Financing for Development, and as Consultant on bioenergy at the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) (Environment and Energy Group) in New York.
In 2014 he completed a Research Ph.D. at the School of Earth and Environment, University of Leeds, where he gained relevant mixed-method, multi-level research experience in Sub-Saharan Africa. The use of policy analysis and participatory tools focused on agro-ecosystems and livelihoods was of central importance to his research, which focused on the policy and livelihood implications of biofuel promotion in Mali.
Between 2013 and 2014 Nicola designed and carried out field research in Brazil and Botswana on sustainable liquid biofuels from biomass biorefining, and separately, the economics of land degradation initiative. Nicola is currently carrying out an economic valuation of the Ecosystem Services in Botswana, with a view to advance knowledge on the costs, benefits and trade-offs of sustainable land management in southern Africa’s rangeland.
- Sustainable energy
- Agriculture and rural development
- Environment (land degradation and Ecosystem Service valuation)
- Time-series analysis of policies and market prices for provisioning ecosystem services in Botswana’s Kalahari rangelands
1 Feb 2014. Nicola Favretto, Lindsay Stringer, Andy Dougill, J.S. Perkins, J.R. Atlhopheng, Mark Reed, A. Thomas and K. Mulale
- Unpacking livelihood challenges and opportunities in energy crop cultivation: perspectives on Jatropha curcas projects in Mali.
28 Oct 2013. Nicola Favretto, Lindsay Stringer, Andy Dougill
- Unpacking livelihood challenges and opportunities in energy crop cultivation: perspectives on Jatropha curcas projects in Mali
7 Apr 2013
- Policy and institutional frameworks for the promotion of sustainable biofuels in Mali
1 Sep 2012
- Cultivating clean energy in Mali: policy analysis and livelihood impacts of Jatropha curcas
1 Feb 2012
- Energising development with Jatropha curcas? Policy and institutional frameworks in the promotion of sustainable biofuels in Mali.
Policy publications, 1 Mar 2013
- Sustainable biofuels in Africa: cultivation of Jatropha curcas in Mali and Malawi
Policy publications, 1 Nov 2010
- Financing for development
Policy publications, 8 Apr 2009