David is a physicist by training and has many years’ experience of climate modelling.
While a researcher at Oxford University, he co-founded and was chief scientist of the climateprediction.net project, the world’s largest climate modelling experiment.
David has been both a NERC Research Fellow and a Tyndall Research Fellow at Oxford University.
- How we can extract robust and useful information about future climate, and climate related phenomena, from modelling experiments;
- Issues of how to design climate modelling experiments and how to link climate science to real-world decision making in such a way as to be of value to industry, policymakers and wider society.
- Limits to the quantification of local climate change
16 Sep 2015. David Stainforth
- An assessment of the foundational assumptions in high-resolution climate projections: the case of UKCP09
7 May 2015. Roman Frigg, Lenny Smith, David Stainforth
- Climate projection: Testing climate assumptions
9 Mar 2014. David Stainforth
- Assessing pricing assumptions for weather index insurance in a changing climate
11 Feb 2014. David Stainforth
- The Myopia of Imperfect Climate Models: The Case of UKCP09
1 Dec 2013. David Stainforth
- Tall tales and fat tails: the science and economics of extreme warming
21 Sep 2013. David Stainforth, Simon Dietz
- Mapping climate change in European temperature distributions
21 Sep 2013. David Stainforth
- On predicting climate under climate change
21 Aug 2013. David Stainforth
- On estimating local long-term climate trends
21 May 2013. David Stainforth
- Do probabilistic expert elicitations capture scientists’ uncertainty about climate change?
20 Jan 2013. Antony Millner, David Stainforth
- Probabilistic regional and seasonal predictions of twenty-first century temperature and precipitation
1 Aug 2010
- Video abstract on mapping climate change
11 Sep 2013
- Video abstract of new paper on mapping climate change
11 Sep 2013
- Video abstract of new paper explores issues in the design and interpretation of climate model ensembles
30 Aug 2013
- Presentation at EQUIP workshop on uncertainty in weather, climate and impacts
15 Mar 2013
- Questions and answers with Dr David Stainforth
1 Jul 2011
- ‘Confidence from uncertainty’ – new exhibit at the Royal Society on interpreting climate predictions
28 Jun 2011
- Climate science in the spotlight may not be such a bad thing
12 Feb 2010